J. Stamp & Sons was founded in 1946 by Jack and Ellen Stamp, working as french polishers and antique furniture restorers from a small workshop in the village of Drayton, situated in the Welland Valley. Prior to the Second World War, Jack had worked for a local business who were antique furniture dealers and restorers and undertakers in Market Harborough.
As their young family of four children, Bill, George, Mark and Jane grew up, the business moved to various different locations in Market Harborough, before a move to their present address, 'The Chestnuts', in 1960. It was following the move to 'The Chestnuts', which at the time could only be described as a semi-derelict Georgian Hunting Lodge, that the business began as funeral directors. 'The Chestnuts' has made a wonderful family home and funeral premises. The whole family has achieved this through determination and a lot of hard work.
J. Stamp and Sons is now into a third generation of 'Stamps' and pictured left are the three current partners of the business - from left to right: Jonathan, Chris and David Stamp.